Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recognizing the REAL Source of iPromise


My girl, Caits Meissner, reached out at the beginning of 2009 with a question she wanted people in her life to ponder.

Thirsty to write and have my voice be heard I attacked the keyboard with such fervor that I felt I couldn't really be responsible for whatever spilled out.

I hit send, putting it into the cyber world, with only a spell check. I knew that if given more time to think about it, I'd second guess myself. It was in this time of reflection that I came up with iPromise. I immediately called my closest girls and asked their thoughts on iPromise...

Thank you for being the catalyst Caitlin.

An excerpt...

Firstly,

Let me say you are truly an inspiration.

On January 16, 2009 at 10:18AM I changed my Facebook status update to read:
Sallome thinks: in light of said incoming president being human, we should BE who we think he should – people who exhibit uncompromising Integrity. Word.

I was tired of hearing folks’ opinions about what they think President Obama will fulfill on or not in his 4-years in office. Now that shouldn’t necessarily frustrate me – besides, most Americans that voted, voted for him and have a right to express their expectations, etc. However, it was hearing judgements and critiques from people I’ve watched give up on themselves, give up on their families, their communities, their society, hell, all of humanity that pissed me off. People who have never been on time a day in their lives accusing Barack of being incapable of shifting the state of the nation, the state of the world. People who have stopped talking to their sister, mother, father, neighbor, former friend want Barack to speak for them. People who refuse to smile on train platforms, in police uniforms, behind counters want Barack to maintain a constant positive disposition. People who believe that children need to focus on sitting, lining up, listening, writing on college-ruled paper versus pursuing their dream of being a dancer, poet, or emcee expect our next president to exhibit creativity in addressing our seemingly insurmountable issues as a nation. People who drop gum wrappers, hamburger wrappers, cd wrappers on city streets in their neighborhood and the neighborhoods of others want the commander in chief to remember them while considering policy that will affect us all.


To read it in its entirety, visit The Little Ripple Project.