Friday, February 12, 2010

Writing Exercise #1




I did this writing exercise at a Voices Unbroken Workshop yesterday. There was a tree. Focal points included the roots, trunk and branches.

The instructions read:
IN THE ROOTS, fill in the things that nourish you. Fill in the roots with names of people, places, groups, or activities that keep you down to earth, or that you feel are necessary. IN THE TRUNK, think of things that give you strength. These could include qualities about yourself, things you are good at, things you have been through that make you strong today. IN THE BRANCHES, think of the things you want to grow towards. Are there places you want to go? Things you want to see? Work you want to do? A kind of person you want to be?
So, for my Roots I have written:
Water
Movement
Sunshine
Music
Fruit and/or smoothies
Laughter
Love-making
Time with youth
Learning new things
Stimulating conversation
Alexis Monique Escalante
Blitz the Ambassador "Stereotype"
Work (spiritual, community-oriented, artistic) with women

For my Trunk I have written:
Integrity
Faith
Ritual
Creativity
Positivity
Compassion
Doing my best
Not taking anything personally
Refraining from making assumptions
Vision

For my Branches I have written:
Pioneer in Dream Management in US public schools
Author
Speaker
Example
Wife
Youth Development Expert
Mother