Wednesday, October 27, 2010

T-N-T on Halloween



I produced an event in the middle of October – Fall for Fall: a clothing swap for the temperature drop. Somewhere in the middle of a woman’s dream - basically bring $5 and leave with whatever you can fit into your bag - two girls entered with their aunt to swap.

Meet Tijera (10, on the left above) and Trinity (9, on the right above).

“Shop ‘til you drop, or can’t carry any more!” I told them as they entered. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched Tijera’s eyes scan the room full of clothes and stylish Brooklyn women. They, I learned, had traveled from Harlem to participate.

I saw them as they left. Tijera carried a big brown bag, barely able to wrap her arms fully around the circumference, and eyes peeking over the top.

“Did you find anything you like?” I asked.

“Uh hunh,” Trinity nods and gestures to her sister, who is clumsily making her way out the door.

“They had a great time!” their aunt tells me.

I recently spent an evening with them. Over cheese pizza and cups of Sprite I got to hear the girls speak of writing screenplays, designing clothes and creating a Youtube channel. (Remember, they are 9 and 10 years old.) I watched in amazement as they performed a musical rendition of [youtube song about rapist] and a synchronized Jamba juice jingle.

At some point they had to take baths and get their clothes ready for school. Tijera put on her black and grey jersey sweater, a white, tiered ruffle shirt, short jean skirt, and black leggings. She modeled and asked what her aunt thought. I was shocked. It took her all of 3 minutes to pick it out, put it on and ask for an opinion. It looked like she stepped off of a page in a children’s catalogue. I immediately called my girl Tyrice who is working on a style blog and they do an impromptu phone interview – Tijera’s pointers on Fall children’s fashion!

Then Tiffany (the aunt) begins telling me about Trinity’s Powerpoint prowess. “She is bad Sallomé. She can do the most amazing things with it – animated messages to family, presentations for school. I’m telling you… you have to see it.” By the end of the night I had.

But by then I was convinced - they are stars. And I committed to working with them to start their blog, their Youtube channel, and write letters requesting start-up capital for a business. Their aunt and mom were as excited as the girls and I were. At no point did either of them dampen the joy – they encouraged the two girls’ planning and vision creation. While I explained how to grow a blog, Tijera asked: “What happens if you stop blogging?” After prodding a bit, she explained the source of the question; “I don’t want to do this forever.” “Already thinking about retirement?!” her mom jokes.

I took a bathroom break in there somewhere. I nearly sat on the tiled floor and cried. This is my passion. This is my purpose. No matter how long the girls are able to keep the Youtube channel going, no matter how much traffic they get to their blog, they will have learned as many tools and tactics as I can impart in one day with them: ask for what you want from the people you think can help you get them, create a plan of action, learn as much as you can about the technology or business involved with actualizing your dream, and follow through – your word is where magic should seek residence.

I’ll be spending Halloween with them. Be afraid; be very afraid. T-N-T shakes things up!

A Case Study in Dream Management with Tijera and Trinity, Oct 31, 2010 – being the change I wish to see in the world.