Saturday, October 2, 2010

What about the children?



I used to sing every day. It made me feel good. Today, I sang in the shower.

What about the Children by Yolanda Adams

Tears streaming down, her heart is broken
Because her life is hurting, so am I
He wears a frown, his dreams are choking
And because he stands alone, his dreams will die

So, humbly I come to you and say
As I sound aloud the warfare of today
Hear me, I pray

What about the children?
To ignore is so easy
So many innocent children
Would choose the wrong way

So what about the children?
Remember when we were children?
And if not for those who loved us
And who cared enough to show us
Where would we be today?


I sang until I cried, recognizing that there were people in my life who told me I was smart, capable, a leader, precious, deserving, talented, worthy. They showered me with love, challenges, and opportunity. Without them, my mom's cheerleading would have been all I had.

Thank you Ms. Underwood. Thank you Auntie Francine. Thank you Coach C. Thank you Ms. Palmer. Thank you Mr. Cooley. Thank you Mr. Kennedy. Thank you Dr. Robinson. Thank you Julia Chance. Thank you Professor Pemberton. Thank you Evelyn Gleason. Thank you Michaela angela Davis. Thank you Monica Dennis. Thank you to my mother, father, grandparents, sister, brother, cousins, aunties, and uncles. And thank you to my dear, dear friends.

I was a child smothered with love. And all I want to do is offer that love to other children who may or may not be as fortunate as I was.