Thursday, February 18, 2010

An unfortunate turn of events




One day I will not have creditors calling me.


For now, I swiftly delete the automated calls from NCO Financial and the like. And up until today my negligence with my student loans never hurt so bad.


I decided in the first week of January that I would apply to graduate school. NYU/Gallatin has an amazing Individualized Studies program where I'd be able to create my own masters program. I submitted my application online 3 days before the early admissions deadline. And on Jan 30th I applied for the Reynold's Fellowship (which would be the only way I'd be able to afford graduate school). At the same time, I was going through the process of finally consolidating my undergraduate school loans, and was clear that I had to do that in order to even access my transcript.


A week into February I received an e-mail from the head of admissions at Gallatin letting me know that he still had not received my transcript from Wesleyan. I called them - the consolidation hadn't gone through. I called the consolidation company - they said my account was in its "summary stage" and that my lenders would be paid within 12 days of ... blah blah blah.


Yesterday, 11AM I get an e-mail from Gallatin letting me know that unless they received my transcript by the end of the day, I would not be considered for the fellowship. I spent from 11AM-4:25PM hearing "Nos" from creditors and Wesleyan Staff (Student Accounts & Registrars Office) only to be told by the Registrar at 4:26PM that if I couldn't "get" her the transcript request form within the next 4 minutes I would have to wait until the morning. I e-mailed the pdf at 4:41pm. I called immediately and got her voicemail. I prayed last night.


I stayed up all night attempting to busy myself and take my mind off of what coulda, woulda, shoulda happened in my whole life before this point. At exactly 8:37AM I called Wesleyan's Registrar's Office and asked if they are able to get it to Gallatin this morning. They asked that I fax it. I discovered free online fax this way. By 9:15AM Wesleyan had the transcript request and I crossed my fingers it'd get there and I'd have the chance to call Gallatin's Admission's Officer and let him know he had it. At 9:25AM I received an e-mail from Gallatin that read:


Dear Sallome,


I am sorry, but we did not receive the transcript last night, and therefore it is too late for you to be considered for the Reynold's Fellowship. You are still able to be considered for regular admission into Gallatin once we receive your official transcript.


Best,


So... it looks like I will not be going to graduate school in the Fall.


And that is the impact of being irresponsible with those automated calls.


Thank you to all of you who supported me during my application process, specifically: Clyde, Jamilah, Shelton, Ashley, Eugene, Jullien, Alfred, Marie, Kahlil, Toni, Martha, Auntie Francine, Akua, my 30 Day Do It Group, Nancy & Tracy (@Wesleyan), and John (@Gallatin).