Sunday, November 14, 2010

Jada P. Smith - Educating the Masses

I have my Smith Family moments. Those are the times I go online and watch interviews with Will, Jada, Willow or Jaden on Youtube clips. They are the most inspiring family to me, outside of maybe the Obamas (if Sasha or Melia started a non-profit or business while young, they'd be on the level of a Willow or Jaden and I'd be their biggest fan). One night I go to my bestie's house and torture her and her daughter with clip after clip - maybe they enjoyed it, some. I particularly wanted Nyree to hear Will's speech from the Nick Awards. And I wanted Jamilah to hear Will talk about Jada when she was honored at the ESSENCE Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon (Black Tree Media; Feb 21, 2008).




During Jada's acceptance speech she says:
"It's about expanding the limitations that people put on all of us. I don't care what color you are. I don't care what gender you are. People are always trying to tell you what you can and cannot do. I say to you right now - bunkum." (4:54 - 5:07)

Jamilah and I cracked up, not necessarily because the word was strange (which it was), but because she said it with such indignation. We thought she made it up, or was trying to avoid cursing. We started using it in all kinds of crazy ways over the last few weeks:

The store is closed now?! Bonk 'em.

I saw some folks you know!
Oh, really? Who?
Bonkem! (practical joke)


I tried calling you back, but it went straight to voicemail! Bonk 'em!

They named the baby what? He's gon' grow up and be like: I'm changing my name. Bonk 'em!

So Jamilah hits me up at 1:40AM via BBM:
Jam: I'm reading a book that takes place in 1793 and a white woman said "bunkum"!
Me: Are you SERIOUS?!!!! See, I knew Jada was brilliant! Teaching us. Lol
Jam: Lol Yeah they were describing the woman acting wild from yellow fever and worry over her daughter. They said the doctor said it's a miracle she lived. Her reply was bunkum. The lady said it's not bunkum, it's true. Maybe its's like bullshit.
Me: Right! Lmao!!! So dope. Looked it up! Synonym for meaningless political convo or any kind of nonsense. Insincere or foolish talk! Sometimes it's spelled buncombe!!!! Roflmao!
Jam: Bumcombe!

Thank you Mrs. Jada Pinkett-Smith for my education. I so NEED this word with all the bunkum I see, experience, and hear.

You can follow Jada Pinkett-Smith on Twitter or Facebook.

*Shout outs to Black Tree Media, Jamaal Finkley, Camera Ron Hart & Ms. Patricia Cage for this work.